Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why Would You Take Opportunities AWAY From Your Child?

Excuse me while I ascend my soapbox;
     A few weeks back a relative of mine posted on facebook something similar to "I will not let my kids learn Spanish to accommodate illegal immigrants".  Besides the obvious ignorance in the comment I feel that this is too scary not to be addressed.
     I have a unique perspective on the topic on bilingual eduction because I teach a second language to 60 kids daily and because I live in a country where I don't speak the language.  I have learned that in the US we are one of the only countries that are not widely bilingual.  In defense, this is because we don't have to be.  The world literally caters to the English speaker.  Nice for us right?  Well. Nice for now.  If I had learned, say, Mandarin when I was growing up, so many things in China would be easier for me.  Other than convenience, my entire career could be different.  I could be making serious cash in the corporate world in a wide variety of industries bridging the gap between Chinese and English.  Let's just say that my life would be completely different simply based on the opportunities that would have been available.
     If I had wanted, I could have studied a different language in college.  This is always an option for the dedicated.  However, research shows that the prime time to be introduced to language is as early as possible. As our brains mature we slowly lose the ability to recognize the difference in certain sounds.  It becomes more difficult to acquire a new language the older we get.  I can even see the difference in this between my 1st graders and my 5th graders.  Also, it is not as if your brain gets 'full' and because you learned another language you will then not be able to learn Physics later in life.  In fact, it is quite the opposite.
     My concern comes from the giant proverbial door that is closed to children that are monolingual. They will only see the world through the filter of their only language.  Entire countries will be less accessible to them and more intimidating because of their language barrier.  Important and meaningful relationships become more difficult because of a lack of common language.
     Sure it can be argued that other people will learn English paving a way for connections.  I argue that is not only their responsibility to learn our language but it should be our responsibility to give our children as many opportunities as possible.
     My plea is this; Don't let your own politics get in the way of your child's potentially bright future.
     Also, lets look back at the logic of the aforementioned quote.  How many single families in Mexico do you think said to themselves "Well, it looks like we cannot make better lives for ourselves by immigrating to the US because some families are refusing to let their children learn Spanish, tough luck for us."?
-Bri


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post immensely. I can't quite understand how a country built on immigrants and the merging of cultures and languages, can forget that and shut down opportunity. Oh American exceptionalism working against America. --Thanks for this wonderfully worded post Bri, love ya, Hannah

    ReplyDelete